CAUTION: BE SURE THAT THE PRESSURE BOTTLES YOU USE ARE SOUND IN ALL RESPECTS. EXAMINE EACH BOTTLE FOR HAIRLINE CRACKS AND THROW OUT THOSE IN QUESTION. ALWAYS USE OVEN MITTS WHEN HANDLING THE BOTTLES.
YOU WILL NEED:
Four Week White or Blush Wine Kit
28 champagne crown cap bottles and crown caps
28 Champagne bottles with plastic champagne stoppers and wires
**If Champagne bottles are not available, you can use glass beer bottles or plastic screw cap soda (PET) bottles. Use new screw caps.
a. Before beginning, discard packages # 3, 4 and 5 or 6 in the kit.
b. Be sure to rinse out the bottles thoroughly after sanitizing.
SWEETENING: At step 4 in this recipe, add 2 tablets of saccharine, cyclamate
or Sugar Twin to each 750 mL bottle (this can be doubled for sweeter wine) before
sealing the bottle. Only artificial sweeteners can be used to sweeten this sparkling
DO NOT ADD ADDITIONAL CONCENTRATE OR SUGAR AS THIS WILL CAUSE EXCESS PRESSURE
AND RESULT IN EXPLODING BOTTLES.
1. Using the Four Week Wine Kit of your choice, measure 340 ml (12 oz.) of the concentrate from the foil bag. Store in baggie or sanitized container, seal and freeze for later use. Follow steps 1 through 11 in the Four Week Wine Kit recipe.
2. When fermentation has totally ceased and specific gravity is .997 or less,
rack wine into sanitized and rinsed primary fermenter, avoiding sediment.
3. Thaw reserved grape concentrate and add to wine in primary. Stir thoroughly
4. Siphon wine into sanitized and rinsed champagne bottles. Stopper and wire
or crown cap.
5. Leave bottles upright in a warm place for one month.
6. Wine will appear cloudy when bottled. When the wine is fully carbonated,
the wine will clear and yeast sediment will develop. The longer the wine is
left on this sediment, the more character it will develop.
7. Bottles should be stored in an upright position at all times. After full carbonation has occurred, you may move the bottles to a cooler location.
8. Prior to serving, chill champagne well and pour into chilled decanter or glasses. Pour carefully so sediment is not disturbed. This sparkling wine should be consumed within two years.